Wednesday 6 October 2010

Signs

I caught this on TV the other day and despite being around my fourth viewing, I was as impressed as I was during my first. At first glance, the film is about an alien invasion but subtly it deals with far more - commitment, family, destiny, religion and handles all seamlessly without coming off as preachy. One of Shyamalan's best qualities as a director is his ability to create endearing characters. I admit that at times his choice of direction can be at times flawed but when he delivers, he delivers with aplomb.








The only two criticism I have relates to the Alien's tactics and the plot armour that at times protects the family from them. In my opinion this is mitigated by the fact that the film is not about aliens - invasion provides a framework for the real story of the film to develop.








What do you think about it? Did you enjoy it and did it make you think about the bigger questions of life, as truly great art does?

4 comments:

  1. I thought the movie was done very well. Does it make me believe in UFO's even more? Not really I already believed in them lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never felt uneasy or scared during this movie because all the scares were in the previews and the plot armor was dumb. I'm just a Shamylan hater though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Started good, but it was all kind of silly in the end. Had so much awesome potential...

    ReplyDelete